Here are some activities you can do at home to help stay active when not at gymnastics classes!
Driveway Chutes and Ladders
Use sidewalk chalk to make a life size Chutes & Ladders Game. You can draw “ladders” and “slides” on some of the numbers, just like on the board game! Just use dice from one of your board games to see how many spaces to move. You and your kids can be “live” game pieces. So fun!
Have your kiddo be the wheelbarrow – you can hold on to their feet and walk them around the yard! This is sooo great for kiddos to work on strong, straight arms and upper body strength!
Red Light Green Light
An oldie but a goodie! You can make it harder by asking them to jump, hop or skip rather than walking towards you.
Simon can ask the kiddos to do a forward roll, or hop on one foot, or do a lunge handstand. This of course would be geared more towards 4-6 year old.
First Grade and Up:
13 Around the House Activities:
1. Crab walk around house 3x
2. Holding a headstand for 20 seconds while doing crazy leg positions.
3. 10 straddle jumps or tuck jumps with a stick finish
4. Handstand against wall
5. Run in place for 1 minute
6. Time yourself holding a V sit...how long can you do it?
7. Bridge hold and hold up each leg for 10 seconds
8. 10 levers in a row
9. Hold foot in passé (toe to knee) and close your eyes - how long can you balance?
10. 50 jumping jacks
11. 30 jumps over a safe object
12. 50 jump ropes
13. Practice your splits, pancakes, and pike stretches for 30 sec to 1 minute each day.